Friday, January 1, 2010

England (Day 6 Week 8/24)

I left the US on Tuesday and had one of the smoothest trips I've ever taken. Before my flight left, United called me up to the gate sand said that they'd given me an upgrade to business class. On an international flight, business class meant I had a personal TV, a seat that could fully recline and some nice meals. We landed on time (Wed morning) in England and I found my bus with no problems.

Gigi and Lidia were waiting in Ringwood and saw me easily because of my bright yellow hat (though, they expected it to be pink). We drove into Burley and arrived at the gate house to have tea. The main house is coming along nicely and the new floors look great.

Wednesday afternoon we went to the Burly Inn for a late lunch with Lidia and Steve. Gigi had a shrimp cocktail, I had a curry, and we both had 'real ales' made by Ringwood brewery.

That night, we went to bed early as I hadn't gotten much sleep on the plane and was very tired.

On Thursday morning I showed off my culinary skills and made a breakfast of scrambled eggs. Gigi even had Creme Fresh in her refrigerator, exactly what I needed for the Gordon Ramsey scrambled eggs recipe. I love cooking on the Aga.

That afternoon, we called a taxi to take us into Burley to do some shopping. Gigi got a driver who she really likes, but says treats her like she's made of glass. We stocked up on food and then walked around the downtown.

After we got back, I went out for a 30 minute run along Forest Road. So, my half-marathon training is not totally being neglected.

New Years eve dinner was pasta with a meat sauce. I was very happy to see that my homemade spaghetti came out correctly, as did the red sauce. For dessert we had cider and chocolate.

Today, we're planning on going out with Caroline (Gigi's hair dresser) for a drive, and hope to encounter the society of people who make very small steam powered locomotives. Think something very much like a steampunk lawnmower!

No comments: